[Haskell-cafe] Re: Move MonadIO to base

wren ng thornton wren at community.haskell.org
Tue Apr 20 02:00:23 EDT 2010

wren ng thornton wrote:
 > Anders Kaseorg wrote:
 >> Yes; my question is more whether Wren has a more clever way to get an
 >> isomorphism (forall b. (m a -> IO b) -> IO b) <-> IO (m a) that would
 >> make the simpler interface work out.  (Or maybe I misunderstood what
 >> he was getting at.)
 >
 > Yeah no, that's what I was getting at. Since it doesn't quite work
 > out, I should probably rethink my appeal to parametricity re Kleisli
 > arrows.

No, my parametricity was correct, just the implementations were wrong:

     {-# LANGUAGE RankNTypes #-}
     module MorphIO where
     import Prelude hiding (catch)
     import Control.Monad
     import qualified Control.Exception as E
     import Control.Exception (NonTermination(..))

     -- | The original class
     class Monad m => MonadMorphIO m where
         morphIO :: (forall b. (m a -> IO b) -> IO b) -> m a

     -- | The isomorphic Haskell98 version
     class Monad m => MonadJoinIO m where
         -- | Embed the IO into the monad m
         joinIO :: IO (m a) -> m a

         -- | Extract the IO computation to the top level,
         -- rendering the m pure from IO.
         partIO :: m a -> IO (m a)

     -- | The isomorphisms
     joinIO'  m = morphIO (m >>=)
     morphIO' f = joinIO (f partIO)

     -- * Example
     instance MonadMorphIO IO where
         morphIO f = f id

     instance MonadJoinIO IO where
         joinIO = join
         partIO = fmap return -- N.B. fmap return /= return

     catch  m h = morphIO  $ \w -> w m `E.catch` \e -> w (h e)
     catch' m h = morphIO' $ \w -> w m `E.catch` \e -> w (h e)

     test  = E.throwIO NonTermination `catch`  \NonTermination -> return
"moo"

--
Live well,
~wren