Move MonadIO to base

wren ng thornton wren at community.haskell.org
Fri Apr 16 01:46:43 EDT 2010

wren ng thornton wrote:
> Anders Kaseorg wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Anders Kaseorg wrote:
>>> The striking similarity between instances of MonadCatchIO suggests to
>>> me that something deeper is going on.  Is there a cleaner abstraction
>>> that captures this idea?
>>
>> Here a possible answer.  I haven’t entirely figured out what it
>> “means” yet, but maybe someone who knows more category theory will be
>> able to figure that out.  :-)
>>
>> class Monad m => MonadMorphIO m where
>>     morphIO :: (forall b. (m a -> IO b) -> IO b) -> m a
>
> [...]
> Putting these together, your class means: if you can construct/eliminate
> an (F m a) in the IO category, then you can construct an (m a) in the
> Hask category. I.e., IO(m a) is a subset of (m a).

Which is more general than liftIO which only says (IO a) is a subset of
(m a). That is, liftIO requires that the non-IO layers of m are
constructed via `return`, whereas morphIO permits non-pointed use of IO.
In other words, liftIO only allows lifting "effectful" values, whereas
morphIO also allows lifting "structural" values.

--
Live well,
~wren