problem getting cabal-install to work on CentOS 5.2

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Sun Apr 11 17:35:24 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am trying to install cabal-install 0.8.2 with GHC 6.12.1 on a CentOS 5.2
system and am running up against a 'ExitFailure 127' error.

I can download the package and run 'cabal install' inside the package
directory and all will be fine, but if I let cabal download and install the
package cabal runs into problems as soon as it tries to configure.

For example, if I try 'cabal install permutation --verbose=3' it finishes
like this:

link: done

*** Deleting temp files:

Deleting: /tmp/ghc1324_0/ghc1324_0.lpp

*** Deleting temp dirs:

Deleting: /tmp/ghc1324_0

/tmp/permutation-0.4.132758/permutation-0.4.1/dist/setup/setup configure

--verbose=3 --ghc --prefix=/home/chris/.cabal --user --constraint=base

==3.0.3.2 --constraint=ghc-prim ==0.2.0.0

permutation-0.4.1 failed during the configure step. The exception was:

ExitFailure 127

I have tried the same exercise with GHC 6.10.4 with cabal-install 0.8.0 the
same results.

I have downloaded the Cabal sources to try and add some instrumentation to
find out what is going wrong I have yet to succeed.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Is there an easier way of getting
cabal-install working on CentOS?

Any help much appreciated!

Chris