Proposal #3339: Add (+>) as a synonym for mappend

Krasimir Angelov kr.angelov at
Fri Sep 18 02:26:01 EDT 2009

On 9/17/09, Ross Paterson <ross at> wrote:
> I prefer using a new operator instead of generalizing ++ (or +, *, &&
> or ||), because I think that a monoid operation is so abstract that it
> needs a name that doesn't suggest one of the special cases.  (I like <>)

<> collides with the same operator defined in Text.PrettyPrint. Please
don't add operator that collides with something else that is already
in the standard libraries. The operators looks very ugly when they are
quantified. We should save at least some very often used functions and
operators from collision.