Haskell Platform package additions: decision time!

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 16 11:11:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 11:39 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> >> Definitely split off the rationale,
> >
> > Seems like this is the majority opinion. If it is actually putting
> > people off then that's certainly a good reason to split. The procedure
> > is not very complicated, the policy is just fairly detailed and, I hope,
> > fairly clear. We were trying to anticipate questions and corner cases.
>
> I'd like to chime in in support of the current way it's done.  Having it
> on the same page is better than separate pages because it's easier to
> navigate.

I think we're in the minority however.

> Separate panes or similar would be even better, but that's
> essentially impossible without deep Trac magic, if at all.

I played with inserting html and it works except that trac always wraps
it in a div, so it's useless for links.

> If people are worried by the length of the page, then perhaps it could
> be made clearer at the top of the page that only the first X% of the
> page is actual policy, the rest is rationale.  With a diagram, even :)

It does already :-)

        Who should read this:

              * People who want to propose a new package;
              * People reviewing proposed packages;
              * The Haskell Platform release team

        Only the first half of this page is essential reading.

Duncan