Recommendation for the procedure to add platform packages

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 14 16:22:23 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 13:02 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> Specific comments:
>
> "come to view on whether the package should be accepted"
> -> "help achieve a consensus ... "

We decided to clarify it slightly differently to make clear the
distinction between forming a view and working with others to get a
consensus.

- * come to view on whether the package should be accepted, either
    as-is or with certain modifications

+ * come to a view on whether the package should be accepted, either
    as-is or with certain modifications
+ * work with other reviewers to try to achieve a consensus view

> "the libraries mailing list reach consensus to accept it"
> -> "the reviewers reach a consensus to accept it" ?

Changed as you suggested. It's simpler and means the same thing since
everyone one the libs mailing list is considered as a reviewer.

> "Compile on all operating systems and compilers that the platform targets"
> -> ".. except where the package is compiler- or platform-specific" ?

We decided not to list explicit exceptions on this point but to make
clear the "should" status of all the requirements:

        Every package should fulfil the following requirements. Any
        requirements that are not met must be clearly explained and
        justified in the proposal.

So for a platform-specific package you have to point it out in the
proposal, justify it and have the reviewers agree with you.

> The "Interim Licesne Policy" should be one of the bullet points
> under Package Requirements.  e.g.
>
>    "The package must be distributed under an acceptable license.  The
>     only license currently acceptable is BSD3 [rationale..]"

Added to the requirements list:

      * Be distributed under an acceptable copyright license. See the
        interim license policy.

So the changes as a whole are:
http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/AddingPackages?action=diff&version=9&old_version=5

Duncan