Fwd: Advance warning to package authors of breakage

Mikhail Glushenkov the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 06:31:23 EST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:47 AM, Duncan Coutts
<duncan.coutts at googlemail.com> wrote:

> These packages all use "build-depends: base >= 3 && < 5" (except for
> ghc-core which cheekily uses "build-depends: base < 10" --- a practise
> we will ban if it becomes any more popular).

I have one question. It looks like the recommended way to solve the
problem is to use something like:

Flag separateSYB

[...]
   if flag(separateSYB)
      build-Depends: base >= 3 && < 4
   else
      build-Depends: base >= 4 && < 5, syb

When the user types 'cabal install pointful' (without providing
-fseparateSYB), which version of base will be the executable built
against?