[patch] #562: cabal-install update fails going through a HTTP proxy

Valery V. Vorotyntsev valery.vv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 06:02:39 EST 2009

> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Sigbjorn Finne
> <sigbjorn.finne at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've got a tentative fix in for this, not disabling closing altogether (that
>> wouldn't be compliant with Connection:close handling), but delaying0
>> it until EOF is reached...at least that's the intent. It may not be lazy
>> enough, but I'm unable to verify either way right now.
>>
>> If anyone's interested in testing, the repo contains the changes made --
>>
>>  git://code.galois.com/HTTPbis.git/

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Valery V. Vorotyntsev
<valery.vv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Sigbjorn!
>
> I'll test it this Monday (by running `cabal update' with new HTTP).

Sorry, Sigbjorn, it didn't work.

I've installed HTTP-4000.0.9 (the git version) and rebuilt-reinstalled
cabal-install with it. The problem persist:

    $ cabal update
    Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
    cabal: Codec.Compression.Zlib: premature end of compressed stream
    $
    $ runhaskell proxy-POC.hs
    bytes downloaded: 2408
    proxy-POC.hs: user error (sizes differ)

I've rolled back to patched HTTP-4000.0.8, the one with connection
closing commented out in `sendHTTP_notify'. I need this proxy
downloading thing to just work...

				* * *

AFAIU, you cannot test HTTP operation over proxy server, can you? I'm
not sure, but installing squid might help exposing the bug.

And if you let me speculate a bit... What if we employ ByteString's
hGetContents for reading from connection?  `hGetContents' closes
handle automatically upon reaching EOF[1]. And ByteString does
buffering by itself, HTTP package would not need as many
{read,write}Block, buffer{Get,Put}Block calls[2] as there are now. The
code would be simpler with fewer places for our current bug to hide.

  [1] http://is.gd/4W9sp
  [2] http://is.gd/4W97Y

This is just an idea, nothing more.

--