seq as type class method

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 10:11:13 EST 2009

I always thought that story was a bit unfortunate -- mostly because I don't
believe a good solution emerged. I also find it odd that they felt the need
to continually _remove_ Eval annotations. Leaving an unused extraneous Eval
annotation in place should be mostly harmless, An extra dictionary being
passed around here or there shouldn't destroy performance too badly -- you
only need to pass them in when you are polymorphic in the argument type, and
how often is your code really polymorphic _in something you want to
arbitrarily seq_ in a performance sensitive part of your TCP/IP stack?

Asking to seq a polymorphic argument these days is generally taken as a sign
that you are sprinkling seq's around without understanding why. We have
strategies now for a reason.

-Edward Kmett