Proposal on the platform API policy question

Magnus Therning magnus at
Thu May 21 01:28:31 EDT 2009

Duncan Coutts wrote:
> All,
> Thanks to everyone who took part in the recent discussion on API
> compatibility in minor platform releases. In response to the points
> raised, Don and I would like to propose the following:
>       * Bug fix only in minor releases
>       * Change platform version numbers to follow the PVP
>       * 4 month major release cycles for the first 12 months
>       * Review major release cycle frequency after 12 months
> We hope we can achieve consensus around this proposal. Please could
> people indicate if they think they can support this.

Sounds like a good compromise based on the discussion.  As a user of HP I'd be
happy with that :-)

I'd also be comfortable with you and Don having the final word on decisions
like this.  That is, I'd be all right with rough consensus on matters relating
to HP :-)

Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)          Jabber:|twitter: magthe