add utf8-string in haskell platform

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at
Thu May 14 22:07:07 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Simon Michael <simon at> wrote:

> I'd like to request that utf8-string be added to the haskell platform, so
> that HP users can work with non-ascii text.

I'd rather this wasn't added. It's an acceptable crutch for the short term,
but we shouldn't be using String for text manipulation, and bundling
utf8-string implicitly blesses that approach. The text library needs a few
weeks of polish and some more testing work for QA, but it'll be the right
answer well before the end of this year.