Platform policy question: API compatability in minor releases

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Wed May 13 13:16:29 EDT 2009

Am Montag, 11. Mai 2009 10:40:27 schrieb Duncan Coutts:
> On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 12:05 +0200, Sven Panne wrote:
> > [...]
> >    * Consistency in numbering: The platform numbering should have the
> > semantics as the numbering of its parts, therefore allowing API additions
> > in minor releases. If someone is totally unwilling to risk any changes
> > his code, he can still use bug fix releases of the platform instead of
> > minor releases, where's the problem?
>
> We can make the numbering consistent with whichever policy we choose.
> [...]

I don't think so: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy
clearly states our numbering policy for libraries, and if you regard the API
of the HP as the union of the API of its constituent libraries, there is no
choice at all if the HP wants to conform to the PvP. And I can't see a reason
why the HP should be considered a special case here.

Cheers,
   S.