Stepping back: what do we want from platform releases?

Justin Bailey jgbailey at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:42:40 EDT 2009

When I first began using Haskell about 2 - 3 years ago, a major
frustration for me was the number of "bit-rotted" libraries I found. I
am also a Windows user which compounded the problem, since many
libraries were not Windows friendly at the time. Finally, because I
was learning Haskell, I did not have the wherewithal to distinguish
trivial versioning errors from real problems.

Things are much better now with Hackage and cabal, but even so the
platform can provide ease-of-use and stability for those wanting to
use Haskell, but not wanting to build everything themselves. Bit-rot
can't be prevented, but the platform can help make it obvious to a
given user if a older library can still be used.

The School of Expression Graphics package is a perfect example of how
the platform could help. That package never bit-rotted but it has
changed significantly from the book and getting it working is
non-trivial. The package is also most likely to be used by newbies,
which makes using the library that much harder and off-putting.  If
the SOE package was tied to a particular platform release, then it
would be a lot easier to get it working, keep it working, and explain
to others how to use it.

I really like the idea of the platform and encourage the work on it to continue!