Platform policy question: API compatability in minor releases

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Sun May 10 16:23:11 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Duncan Coutts
<duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 19:50 +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> If the majority opinion is that 6 months is too long to wait for new
> features, then how about 4 months, or even 3? Do people see the point
> I'm trying to make about the value of synchronisation?

I've always pictured the HP to be for those users who don't want to live on
the bleeding edge and don't want to install packages using cabal-install but
rather use the distro package manager.  This means that we can only get new
features out to these users whenever the distro makes a new release. This
means that it doesn't matter if we do several releases per distro release.
The distro will pick up the latest release that is available and release
with that. So I suggest we stick with a major release every 6 months and 1-2
bug-fix releases between every major release.

Cheers,

Johan