Platform policy question: API compatability in minor releases

Axel Simon Axel.Simon at ens.fr
Sat May 9 15:12:56 EDT 2009

On May 9, 2009, at 20:50, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> The question is this:
>
>         Should we allow compatible API additions to a library in a
> minor
>         release of the platform?

Yes, I think minor additions should be allowed for two reasons:

- a maintainer might not bother to release for a minor platform
revision unless he has actually a bug to fix; thus a user that fails
to compile a program on an earlier minor platform version likely
tries to build against a buggy library anyway. Upgrading is always
better and faster than debugging.

- it is less of a burden for a maintainer who can keep one working
copy of his/her library, rather than an additional one that
corresponds to the major platform release. Furthermore, with two
copies, it is always necessary to distinguish between fixes and
additions. Sometimes patches are more logical if they contain both.

My 2p,
Axel.