problem with readline (mac os x)

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at
Wed May 6 15:17:59 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM, brian <briand at> wrote:
> Here's the relevant bits :
> checking for readline in -lreadline... yes
> checking for rl_readline_version... yes
> checking for rl_begin_undo_group... no
> configure: error: readline not found, so this package cannot be built
> Looks like it found readline, and then decided it didn't ?

It's finding the system install of readline, which is really editline,
so it later rejects it for not having enough functionality.

> I'm having fairly consisten problems with cabal packages needing symlinks in
> /usr/local to work properly, i.e. it
> can't seem to find libraries in /sw/lib where fink puts them.
> Is that a cabal problem or a ghc issue ?

For the readline package you can use
cabal configure --configure-option=--extra-include-dirs=/sw/include

which passes the necessary arguments to the autoconf script which the
readline package uses.

Other Cabal packages may behave better with
cabal configure --extra-include-dirs="..." and --extra-lib-dirs="..."