transformers versus mtl

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 22 21:39:29 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 21:23 +0000, Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:

> > But the ultimate objective is for all of extralibs to go away in
> > favor of the Haskell Platform, isn't it?  That will assuredly be
> > disruptive,
>
> At that point the recommended installation route will be of the
> Platform, not of "just GHC". The first Platform release will be
> precisely extralibs + cabal-install + deps, so there won't be any
> disruption assuming that people follow that recommendation.

Right. Initially the platform will not add disruption.

In the future, if the consensus is for breaking changes in library
organisation then the platform provides the mechanism to manage that
disruption in a way that is less painful (ie by coordinating the
changes).

That doesn't mean it's ok to make whatever changes you like all the
time, but it should help minimise the pain with any changes we deem
necessary.

Duncan