transformers versus mtl

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at
Sun Mar 22 11:56:00 EDT 2009

On 2009 Mar 22, at 2:31, Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:
> Henning Thielemann wrote:
>> I don't like people forcing this way, as I for myself could spend my
>> whole life keeping my Haskell libraries up-to-date without adding any
>> feature or fixing any bug. I think, mtl should be removed from
>> extralibs, but it should not be upgraded in an incompatible way. We
>> would break packages, not more.
> I think that after the relative chaos of the base 2 -> base 3 upgrade,
> the general policy nowadays is to minimise disruption when changing
> things. Completely removing a package from extralibs seems quite
> disruptive to me.

But the ultimate objective is for all of extralibs to go away in favor
of the Haskell Platform, isn't it?  That will assuredly be disruptive,
but the current situation is arguably even more disruptive because
random packages are forced to update when ghc development leads to an

brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery at
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at