transformers versus mtl

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Sat Mar 21 18:22:07 EDT 2009

Iavor Diatchki wrote:

> On Ganesh's question if monadLib could be written in terms of
> "transformers":  no, because transformers uses a different list
> transformer.

I was only suggesting that the common types should be shared -
obviously if the list transformer is different then it shouldn't
be.

> Furthermore, I would not be inclined to do it because
> it would add an extra unnecessary dependency to monadLib, and also I
> think that transformers has some of the same problems as mtl (17
> modules, some of which define things like RWS).

Fair enough. On the other hand, the benefit would be that libraries
based
on monadLib would interoperate better with libraries based on
transformers.
monadLib itself would only re-export the things from transformers that
form
part of the monadLib design, so the extra modules wouldn't pollute
monadLib
itself.

Cheers,

Ganesh