transformers versus mtl

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at
Sat Mar 21 13:05:07 EDT 2009

Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 04:19:05PM -0000, Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:

>> The compatibility layer could continue to export the old separate
>> types for State, Writer, etc, couldn't it?
> It could, though then they'd be different types than the transformer
> versions.  There's a trade-off.

Yeah. I guess we could see how much stuff breaks first. It'll only
be the things that rely on it being a real type *and* don't have an
upper bound on their mtl deps.

>> Are there any problems with adding transformers and monads-fd to
>> extralibs pending the Haskell Platform being ready?
> That should work, but that wouldn't be till September/October.  I'm
> not sure what the HP schedule is.  Another possibility is to upload
> mtl-2.0 as a compatibility layer.

I don't really understand the relationship between extralibs and
hackage - I was assuming that changes to mtl had to go into extralibs
to become official. Uploading to hackage as well would obviously help
the migration happen sooner.