zlib and dependencies in general

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Tue Jun 30 19:24:29 EDT 2009

Iain Barnett wrote:

> 3) one for luck, Debian doesn't have a package for cabal-install or the
> haskell zlib library, so it can't solve this for me either. Unless it can
> use .cabal files, and why would I know this and what would the commands be?

Haskell in Debian is currently in a rather poor state although I and
others are working on fixing it.

Currently, I would personally write off Debian stable and testing for
any serious haskell coding as both ship ghc 6.8.2 which is missing
a bunch of rather important stuff that is in ghc 6.10.X.

In Debian unstable we currently have ghc-6.10.3 and a growing number
of libraries (including zlib and bzlib), but there is also some
nasty breakage, like haskell-network is currently not installable
due to a build dependency being stuck in the Debian NEW queue.

However, all of the above problems are able to be worked around if
you know a little about building binary debian packages from debian
source packages. I currently run Ubuntu 9.04 as my main development
machine and add the Debian unstable deb-src line to sources.list
and then build binary Debian packages from the Debian source packages
and install those.

I really should blog this :-).

HTH,
Erik