Haskell Platform difficulties

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Fri Jun 19 12:16:39 EDT 2009

Hello,

I just wanted to install a current GHC and some Haskell libraries on my new
Debian lenny installation. So I thought I’ll go the quick and easy route via
the new Haskell Platform.

Alas, I had to discover that I need GHC >= 6.10.3 already installed in order
to install the platform. So I wonder why it isn’t possible to use an older
GHC. GHC 6.10.x should be compilable with older GHCs and the libraries could
be compiled with the newly installed GHC 6.10.x. If GHC >= 6.10.3 wouldn’t be
needed in advance, I could install GHC 6.8.2 from the Debian package
repository and then install the Haskell Platform using it. Now, it’s actually
easier to not use the platform at all. :-(

In addition, I wonder whether it would be possible to make binary
distributions of the Haskell Platform, at least for generic Linux x86 and
x86_64. If I install GHC and libraries by hand, I can take an already
compiled GHC. If I use the platform, GHC needs to be compiled from source.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang