Adding an ignore function to Control.Monad

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 07:49:07 EDT 2009

On 11/06/2009 22:56, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> David Menendez wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Felipe Lessa<felipe.lessa at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> The wiki mentions the problem with forgetting the results of an
>>> operation.
>>
>> This is exactly what I'm talking about. That page is written almost
>> entirely by Henning
>> Thielemann, but because it's on the official Haskell wiki, it seems
>> authoritative.
>
> It's a wiki, I think it should document problems even if not everyone
> agrees about them; I think it's our tradition to scatter pages with
> conflicting viewpoints around our wiki (and even cross-link them to each
> other). Please don't think things on the haskell-wiki are authoritative;
> I think they're there so that there is the potential to collaborate on
> them. That page even has links to some other people expressing the same
> frustrations. Feel free to update it sympathetically if we've discussed
> something here that would strengthen it as a page (and/or, is there a
> "do notation considered helpful" page?). Maybe something about "ignore"
> would strengthen it?; I'm not sure; or references to stronger languages
> like Agda where "forgetting" is a more crucial concept.

I think it would help if there was a standard box we could put at the
top of these sort of pages, something like

    This page addresses an aspect of Haskell style, and the viewpoints
    expressed here may not be universally accepted within the
    community.  To discuss the contents of this page, use the
    libraries at haskell.org mailing list.

Cheers,
	Simon