time library dependencies -> Haskell platform standards

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:38:16 EDT 2009

Given the angst that seems to be going on in the time dependency discussion,
I thought I would take a look in the other packages in the Haskell Platform
and see what extensions are present in the current platform. I figured other
people might find this list useful for the sake of this discussion. I found
the following dependencies:

CPP:
 GLUT, haskell-src, HUnit, network, OpenGL, parallel, QuickCheck, time,
regex-posix, stm, zlib, array#, bytestring#, Cabal#, containers#,
directory#, filepath#, hpc#, old-time#, packedstring#, process#, random#,
syb#, unix#

ForeignFunctionInterface:
 editline, GLUT, OpenGL, regex-posix*, time, zlib, array#***, bytestring#,
directory#, old-time#, unix#, Win32#

MultiParamTypeClasses:
 cgi, mtl, fgl, regex-base, regex-compat, regex-posix, array#**

FunctionalDependencies:
 mtl, regex-base, regex-compat, regex-posix

FlexibleInstances:
 fgl, mtl, regex-base*, regex-posix*, array#**

ScopedTypeVariables:
 fgl, bytestring***, syb#

TypeSynonymInstances:
 mtl, regex-base*, regex-posix*, array#**, template-haskell#

ExistentialQuantification:
 parsec

OverlappingInstances:
 fgl

GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving:
 regex-posix*

FlexibleContexts:
 regex-base*, regex-posix*, array#**

MagicHash:
 array***, bytestring***, containers***, template-haskell#

DeriveDataTypeable:
 bytestring***, containers***, template-haskell#

Rank2Types:
 array***, containers***, syb#

UnboxedTuples:
 array***, bytestring***

UnliftedFFITypes:
 array***, bytestring***

PatternSignatures:
 syb#****

PatternGuards:
 template-haskell#

PolymorphicComponents:
 template-haskell#

EmptyDataDecls:
 unix#

???:
 ghc-prim#, integer#

* w/ split base
** except on nhc-98
*** only for ghc
**** only for old versions of ghc < 6.10
# ghc 6.10.3 core library, not included directly, but implied