time library dependencies

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Jun 2 05:18:54 EDT 2009

Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> wrote:

> > Will it cause anyone any problems if
> >
> > * it requires GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving and DeriveDataTypeable to build?

> If you care at all about Haskell 98 compatibility, now would be a
> really good time to speak up. Remember, silence implies consent.

OK, I object to the proposed change.  The time library is pretty core,
and should continue to be buildable by compilers and interpreters other
than GHC.  This does not necessarily mean it must be strictly H'98
compliant, but that would be a good approximation of the common
language.

Regards,
    Malcolm