time library dependencies

Bayley, Alistair Alistair.Bayley at invesco.com
Tue Jun 2 04:08:11 EDT 2009

> From: libraries-bounces at haskell.org
> [mailto:libraries-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Ashley Yakeley
>
> If you care at all about Haskell 98 compatibility, now would
> be a really
> good time to speak up. Remember, silence implies consent.
>

> Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> > Will it cause anyone any problems if
> >
> > * it depends >=base-4.1?
> > * it requires GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving and DeriveDataTypeable to
> build?

Without wanting to sound like I'm telling you to suck eggs...

What are the code standards for the HP libs? I was under the impression
that it was best to maintain H98 compatibility where possible,
especially so for libraries in the old standard libs distribution. I did
a quick search for platform standards but didn't find anything relevant.

For H98 compatibility, is it not too onerous to have generated or
hand-written Data & Typeable instances in the source? I'm guessing that
the library is fairly stable, so I'd expect that it would add little to
the maintenance costs (but then I'm not maintaining time, so that's a
fairly glib claim).

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is