Bug in Cabal?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 1 12:57:15 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 13:47 +0000, Dominic Steinitz wrote:
> Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > Hia Dominic,
> >
> > I've looked into this a bit. I think I may now be less confused. :-)

> >> total 2
> >> -r--r--r--   1 user     group        1327 Jan 21 11:37 LICENSE
> >
> > Ah! Is that the only file that is read-only? That makes sense since it's
> > an original source file from your read-only source control system. The
> > System.Directory.copyFile function does not copy permissions (though it
> > does try to) but it does (unhelpfully) copy the read-only attribute.
>
> It may not be but a lot of packages only have a LICENSE file. I'll have
> a look tomorrow.

Sure, I didn't mean that because it's only a license file it's ok. It's
just that it makes sense given that it's one of the only files copied
direct from the sources directory (rather than generated during the
build). It took me a while to work out what was actually going on (and
to realise it was different from the other permissions problems people
have reported on Windows).

> > The solution I think, is never to copy the read-only attribute when
> > installing files. It's thoroughly unhelpful. I've got a patch to do this
> > which I shall push to Cabal HEAD shortly. If you have a moment to help
> > me test that it would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks very much. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Thanks. The fixes are now in Cabal HEAD and the Cabal-1.6 branch so use
whichever is easier for you.

Duncan