ANN: time-extras 1.1.4

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:39:20 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 11:03 +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> > I don't think we can say that we must restrict ourselves to the
> > Haskell
> > 2010 language extensions when the base package is using Rank2Types in
> > its public API.
>
> ... and this is one of the great flaws of the base package.
>
> Because of such non-standard extensions, the 'base' package API is
> _not_ universally available across all compilers.  I strongly believe
> that 'base' is a misnomer, and we should consider hiding 'base'
> altogether, and creating a 'real-base' package that is (a) compliant
> to the language standards, (b) contains no compiler-specific modules
> or functions.

Sure, that'd also be a good solution. I do in principle support making
base more portable and exporting the same API for all compilers. (I had
to modify zlib the other day because of some ForeignPtr function which
seems needlessly to be ghc-only.)

In the mean time I don't see that it makes sense to do it using CPP for
most core/platform packages and completely differently for the time
package.

Duncan