Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at
Fri Aug 7 08:19:22 EDT 2009

Niklas Broberg wrote:
>>> * I remove the rather small functionality in haskell-src-exts that
>>> depends on cpphs (namely deliterating literate source files).
>> If your only use of cpphs is to deliterate source files, then I
>> recommend that you simply incorporate that functionality directly
>> into haskell-src-exts.  Although cpphs's module
>> Language.Preprocessor.Unlit is under the LGPL, it is based on code
>> that was published in the Haskell 1.2 Report, Appendix C, which I
>> assume is freely copyable.
> That's of course an option. Though as Neil pointed out, my preference
> would really be to *increase* my dependency on cpphs, by introducing
> support for CPP in source files. So if we can actually get cpphs in
> the HP, that would be the best solution by far. :-)

But the CPP that GHC supports is different (albeit less good) than cpphs. So if you want to support the extension as it is currently defined/used, you should just shell out to cpp like GHC does.