Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

Magnus Therning magnus at
Wed Aug 5 03:40:41 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Malcolm
Wallace<malcolm.wallace at> wrote:
>> As an aside: are you aware of the problems using LGPL in the context of
>> GHC statically linking libraries by default (in that they degenerate to
>> GPL, or require significant extra workaround).
> Given that GHC has statically linked *all* the binaries it produces against
> an LGPL library for at least the last 15 years, I think it is a little bit
> late for everyone else to start worrying about it!

Which library is that?

> I am aware of the issue (and indeed use the static linking exception in all
> of my own LGPL-released code) but in any case, dynamic linking (by default)
> will soon be coming to an optimising compiler near you (or so I hear from
> the people who are paying for it.)

AFAIU it's important to make the distinction between linking against a
C library and a Haskell library.  IIRC the former can be modified and
replaced without recompiling the whole Haskell program, while the
latter can't.

Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)          Jabber:|twitter: magthe