Proposal #2629: Data.List: Replace nub; add nubOrd, nubInt, nubWith

Krasimir Angelov kr.angelov at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 14:48:01 EDT 2008

I also think that it is better to use RULES and to hide at least
nubInt. For nubOrd I am not sure whether it should be exported or
hidden because it requires different type class.

Isn't the usage of multi-parameter type class with functional
dependencies and flexible instances an overkill for such a simple job?
I would write nubWith in this way:

nubWith :: (e -> s -> Maybe s) -> s -> [e] -> [e]
nubWith _ _ [] = []
nubWith f  s (e : es)
   case f e s of
      Just s   -> e : nubWith f s es
      Nothing -> nubWith f s es

It is portable and perhaps more flexible. With your type class you
assume that it is efficient and possible to have separated memberS and
insertS which might not be the case. If you have only one function
then you leave the decision to the implementor.

Regards,
  Krasimir