Splitting SYB from the base package in GHC 6.10

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Sep 25 11:58:36 EDT 2008

Hi Pedro,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 03:03:19PM +0200, José Pedro Magalhães wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 21:54, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
>
> > I'm a little lost as to exactly what changes you want. Can you send a
> > darcs patch against the base and syb repos please?:
> >    http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc-6.10/packages/base/
> >    http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc-6.10/packages/syb/
> > Currently everything is in the syb package.
>
> That's fine, but do I need to build the entire compiler to be able to
> compile the base package?

If you want to move the Data class then you'll definitely have to
rebuild GHC, and to change the line
    gENERICS    = mkSybModule (fsLit "Data.Generics.Basics")
    gENERICS    = mkBaseModule (fsLit "<wherever you put it>")
in compiler/prelude/PrelNames.lhs

> Currently if I try to `runhaskell setup.hs
> configure' on base I get `attempting to use module `Prelude' (Prelude.hs)
> which is not loaded'...

You can't compile programs (like Setup.hs) in a base tree, as it will
try to use the modules from the base tree rather than those from the
installed base package.

Thanks
Ian