Splitting SYB from the base package in GHC 6.10

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Tue Sep 16 04:41:33 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 01:28:30PM +0200, José Pedro Magalhães wrote:
> Are the details sorted out? Summarizing:
>
>   * Data.Generics.Basics stays in base;
>   * All other SYB modules besides Data.Generics.Instances go into a new
>     'syb' package;
>   * Data.Generics.Instances is split in two, one part remaining in
>     base and the other moving to the syb package.

Sounds good.  Those that remain in base need no longer be orphans.
Regarding Complex, I think your point that it exports (:+) determines
that the derived instance is appropriate.

>   * These 6 instances have abstract datatypes. Unless there is some reason to
>     keep them in base, I suggest they go into the syb package:
>
> DataType TyCon TypeRep Handle ThreadId StablePtr

I'd lean slightly toward keeping with their definitions in base, but
it's not a blocker like the others.

What shall we call the module defining the Data class?  Data.Data?