Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at
Fri Nov 21 12:28:57 EST 2008

Thanks.  And here is one more

For potentially-breaking changes the right thing to do is to announce (and justify) the proposed change using the usual library-change protocol, with a discussion period.  The important thing is that someone is driving the discussion -- thank you very much for that.  I'll assign these tickets to you.

From: josepedromagalhaes at [mailto:josepedromagalhaes at] On Behalf Of José Pedro Magalhães
Sent: 21 November 2008 15:30
To: Simon Peyton-Jones
Subject: Re: Generics

Hello Simon,

Thanks for pointing these out to me. I won't be able to look into this for the next week, but from what I could see so far, #2760 seems easy: copy mkNorepType to mkNoRepType, mark mkNorepType as deprecated and replace usage everywhere to avoid warnings and pass validation. I can submit the patch for this.

#2759 has some deeper implications, though. Replacing the FloatConstr Double by FloatConstr Rational might break existing client code (even though it probably wouldn't be too hard to fix it). Additionally, I see that the serializer code in compiler/utils/Serialized.hs would also need changes (it's no longer serializing a Double). But I guess this is also not too problematic...