Proposal: overhaul System.Process

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue May 27 08:55:41 EDT 2008

Hello Curt,

Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 4:43:48 PM, you wrote:

> Bad interfaces cost me money. It's generally cheaper for me to change to
> good interfaces than it is to stick with the bad ones.

you don't consider third way - use library versioning to control
interface changes. search haskell.org for "package versioning policy".
ideally, base library should never change because you canot use
multiple versions of base library with one ghc version, and changes in
everything else shuld be controlled via PVP

btw, what a business solutions you develop with a Haskell? (if it's
not top secret :D)

i agree that for closed source, money-making software updating to new
version of interfaces is much less problem. you can just skip
upgrading to new ghc version - i personally still use 6.6. but when you
are going to open-source, free software world, this means more
problems and less people willing to keep things working. for example,
i've dropped support of libraries i once have published and keep
updating only code of my own program. ultimately, this means less libs
on hackage and therefore less opportunities to use haskell in your
business

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com