Proposal: overhaul System.Process

Curt Sampson cjs at starling-software.com
Tue May 27 07:57:03 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-27 09:22 +0100 (Tue), Simon Marlow wrote:

> Neil Mitchell and David Roundy argued against separating stdout and stderr
> for readProcessWithExitCode.  Myself I don't have a strong opinion -
> although I'm somewhat swayed by Brian's points.  It does seem slightly
> cleaner to separate the two in the default API.  Any more opinions?

One issue with merging them is, how do you merge them? Append one?
Attempt to keep them in the order the stuff was printed? What happens
when operating system buffering gets in there?

I've seen enough messed-up merges of stdout and stderr that I'd
generally far prefer to keep them separate, myself.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson       <cjs at starling-software.com>        +81 90 7737 2974