IntSet.findMax generates garbage

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Fri May 23 11:49:25 EDT 2008

ross:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 03:43:47PM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:20:33AM -0700, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > > Ross, are you able, as containers maintainer, to act as the designated
> > > reviewer of Scott's IntMap patches?
> >
> > I'm confused; the latest Cabal file says
> >     maintainer:    libraries at haskell.org
> > as far as I can see. Are you saying that that is wrong? Or are you
> > proposing that we change how the library submissions process
> > (http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions) works?
>
> That puzzled me too.
>
> But the library submissions process was only intended for interface
> changes, and Scott's changes to IntMap/IntSet construction and findMax
> are performance issues.

Yeah, these performance changes really need someone to sit down and test
out the changes. They did a different kind of review to the usual API
change, in my opinion. I act as this person for bytestring, but for
containers, I'm not sure we have an obvious performance czar.

If people are of the view that perf patches will receive the appropriate
review -- or if it is Ian's job (as for say, the (^) issue in base),
then that's good -- we can leave the process as is.

-- Don