[ANN] Memory mapped files for POSIX and Windows

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 16:03:23 EDT 2008

Hello David,

> Incidentally, you'll probably find that for large files, using mmap on
> Windows is a huge loser when compared with lazy bytestrings.  As far as I
> understand, on Windows when a file is mmapped, its entire contents are
> immediately loaded into memory, so if you mmap a file that is larger than
> your memory, you pay a huge penalty on Windows.

it's definitely not true, at least for my own experiments. although i
never tried o map entire file to memory, but used only small window
into file. mmaping for windows and linux implemented in
http://www.haskell.org/library/StreamsBeta.tar.gz where it used just
to make i/o faster. at least i tried but found undesirable effects,
but not one you have mentioned

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com