GetOpt formatting improvements

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Sun Jun 29 20:16:18 EDT 2008

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On 2008 Jun 29, at 19:40, Isaac Dupree wrote:
>
>> maybe these can be resolved somehow without keeping really verbose
>> documentation: what do other people think?  Are these cases obscure
>> but nevertheless standard cases of getopt since Unix/GNU history?
>> (e.g. it seems that compilers behave differently from "normal
>> programs", behave differently from everyone else's slightly different
>> implementations of arguments)
>
> On of the points of getopt is that -fFLAGS and -f FLAGS both work
> without any extra code.  Standard getopt doesn't do optional arguments
> at all; GNU getopt handles -vn, -v n, and -v -- or -v -x (for random
> options -v, -x, the former taking an optional argument; the latter two
> cases are recognized as argument omitted).

ah-ha, so it is an unpleasant behaviour of ambiguity resolution.  Oh,
well, I don't know what I want.  But then saying "-v[n]" to me seems a
little more misleading to say than "-v [n]" although they really mean
the same thing (what if "-v[n]" makes me think "-v foobar.txt" would
pass foobar.txt as a positional argument rather than a verbosity
level?).  Proposal #3 is to just say "-v".  It took me a while to figure
out how passing arguments to short and long options worked at all (one
requires the presence of "=", the other requires its absence... again,
except for exceptions such as ghc), so I might err on the side of being
more verbose, less obscure.

-Isaac