agreeing a policy for maintainers and hackageDB

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Tue Jun 24 09:51:30 EDT 2008

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> Also, if putting one's name and address as maintainer is going to imply
> that the package is supported, we ought to define what minimal level
> of support is expected.  Responds to mails?  Accepts/rejects patches in
> a timely fashion (how fast?)?  Answers user handholding requests in a
> helpful manner?  Makes regular releases (how often?)?

well, assuming maintainer=libraries at h.o is "supported", we clearly
shouldn't expect anything more than we expect ourselves to do.  Which is
in practice something like:
- responds to mails (at least usually)
- can easily ignore patches, due both to the library submissions
proposal policy (submitters are told to run off to GHC Trac and learn
that too), and then once that's done, by accident (so then they have to
poke someone, but because of the policy, that now generally gets a
definite response).  If process is followed, timeframe is a few weeks.
- regular releases?  I have no idea, except I think it's probably at
least once a year because of major GHC versions (at least for
boot-packages).

-Isaac