Package spam :-)

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Fri Jun 20 12:06:28 EDT 2008

Hello Jean-Philippe

Jean-Philippe Bernardy wrote:
> * I have no time to maintain collections. As Adrian said before, this
> is an unpaid, thankless job.

I suspect Gwern Branwen feels the same way after all this :-)

Maybe it would be a good idea to do a 0.4 release for the benefit of
anyone interested (0.3 did have some users I believe), especially as
the 0.3 release seems to have disappeared (not sure why that is).

But it would be good to get the dependencies right and make sure we
don't have multiple sources for "the same" code.

AFAIK enumset isn't in hackage at all at the moment and it may well be
useful to someone, but is what's in the collections repository the
latest official version or is it being worked on elsewhere?

With regard to the maintenance state of packages in hackage, I think
it's  fine to have dead/dormant/"looking for new owner" packages
archived there, just so long as it's clear to users that this is the
case (anyone who finds it useful enough to care about it's maintainance
can always take over ownership if they want).

As it happens I think I probably will keep maintaining the AVL stuff
after all as the generalised tries package Jamie Brandon is working
on will probably have a dependency on it.

Regards
--
Adrian Hey