Package spam :-)

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 20:31:16 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 01:11:25PM -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
> As author Adrian, you can ask to have them removed.
>
> Gwern: do not upload other people's packages, if they're active! It is
> impolite, and leads to far too much broken code.
>
> In particular, doing random forks of existing packages with their own
> matainers *is not helpful* -- it just leads to broken, unmaintained code.

I don't mind forks, as long as they have a maintainer and a different
name.

My problem with these packages is that they specify maintainers, but
the uploaded versions appear not to have been created by the named
maintainers.

If a package names a maintainer, I think we should be able to assume
that whatever was uploaded is that person's approved version, packaging
and all.