Proposal: overhaul System.Process

Frederik Eaton frederik at
Wed Jun 18 19:22:24 EDT 2008

David Roundy-2 wrote:
> No, createProcess is more low-level than the previous interface, which
> is why it can't be implemented using the previous interfaces, but
> rather they can be implemented using createProcess.  Which is why they
> can be deprecated, although I'd hope they won't be removed for at
> least a couple more ghc releases after createProcess is introduced.

In what way is 'createProcess' more low-level than the previous interfaces?
In any case, it still makes sense to me to keep the previous interfaces
around indefinitely - even if they have to be redefined in terms of
'createProcess'. But 'createProcess' seems quite a bit more high-level than
the others. It seems to combine a lot of different POSIX functions like
'exec' and 'system' and 'pipe' which could all be exposed individually
through a simpler API.

Sent from the Haskell - Libraries mailing list archive at