Readline readHistory & writeHistory API broken

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Jun 11 07:34:47 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:30:34PM +0200, Krasimir Angelov wrote:

> Note the comments "(if null, write ~/.history)"! This is supported in
> the original C API but in Haskell the filepath cannot be null. In the
> best case it can be empty string. Either the type signatures have to
> be changed to accept (Maybe FilePath) or the comments have to be
> changed because the Haskell binding currently doesn't support this
> functionality.

If writing to ~/.history is useful then Maybe FilePath makes sense to
me, as ~/.history is a bit fiddly to work out yourself.

However, it doesn't sound that useful to me, as then all applications
would trample over each other.

If you want to propose that it uses Maybe FilePath then you'll need to
follow http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions; otherwise
I'll just fix the comments.

Thanks
Ian