installing non-haskell binaries with cabal

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at
Mon Jun 9 19:09:13 EDT 2008

On 2008.06.09 23:36:19 +0100, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at> scribbled 0.5K characters:
> On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 23:35 +0200, Misha Aizatulin wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> >    I would like to distribute a shell script as part of my haskell
> > project. How can I tell cabal to install the script as an executable?
> At the moment there is no easy way of doing that. It can be installed as
> a data file pretty easily but not into the $bindir.
> You'd have to write a custom Setup.hs script and change the postInst
> hook. Use LocalBuildInfo.absoluteInstallDirs to get the bindir.
> Duncan

And of course, at that point, you'd be better off just writing the script in Haskell.

(Seriously, I had to do that for the Roguestar packages. It was hardly any trouble at all - Haskell is a better scripting language than I think people give it credit for.)

SADRS CTP Dateline Mac-10 Alex Sears Ceridian botux Artful industrial