Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] Data.Tree.Zipper in the standard libraries

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 21:40:48 EDT 2008

Hi,
Well, it is clear that the Haskell community (as represented by the
few vocal participants in this discussion) is not interested in having
a zipper module in the containers package at this point in time.  I am
not sure of the technical reasons for that, but my understanding is
that the general concern is that a lack of experience of working with
zippers has caused some uncertainty about the API of the library.  To
solve this problem it was suggested that the zipper "library" should
be distributed as a separate package.

In the previous emails I explained why I think that this is a bad
idea, but it would appear that I am in the minority.  To avoid having
the code get lost, I have created a repository, so that interested
parties can continue using/improving the code (yes, it is also a cabal
package :-).  The repository is available here:
git://github.com/yav/haskell-zipper.git

-Iavor
PS: By the way, I was really impressed with github---it is very easy
to start new projects and it offers a number of very nice features.