Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] Data.Tree.Zipper in the standard libraries

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 20:52:47 EDT 2008

Iavor Diatchki wrote:
> Or are we going to
> require that it is already used by many people as a separate package,
> and then we are going to ask everyone to change their code, so that they
> can start using it from the new location?

As an aside, I don't see why this would require anyone to change their
code.  So long as people choose good module names, the movement of some
module from one package to another at most changes a Makefile or .cabal
file.  I actually rather like this about Haskell as it currently exists;
third-party packages don't have to be isolated behemoths walled off by
namespace issues.  In fact, there are good examples of cases where
external packages define modules in Data.* module hierarchy with
perfectly logical names.  The code is then entirely independent of
packaging concerns.

--
Chris