Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] Data.Tree.Zipper in the standard libraries

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 04:16:57 EDT 2008

Hello Johan,

Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 11:56:01 AM, you wrote:

>>> Well if this is the common agreement then I will withdraw my proposal.
>>> Maintaining a single module package floating around is too much effort

i'm agree with Neil in this discussion. previously, we inflated Base
package to huge size by allowing to include there everything that
someone want to include. it was resulted in splitting up of Base which
created a serious maintenance problem

the same apply to core packages. while every concrete addition may
look interesting and we may believe that there is just one way to do
it, later we may end up with huge collection of weakly related
functionality with unstable interfaces

i prefer to keep these packages in maintained mode - i.e. everything
included by  general consensus on a basis of thorough investigation,
so we may be sure that included functionality is really widely used
and will stay unchanged. any experimental modules should go into other
places

idea of marking modules as experimental looks interesting, but
1) there is no tools to ensure that you don't import those
experimental modules so they will become a part of library API anyway
2) i don't think that widely used packages should serve as basis for
experiments

so, i will prefer if interesting new code will be shared by other ways
- wiki, hpaste, darcs repositories, new packages on hackage - TIMTOWTDI

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com