Proposal: new signal-handling API

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Jul 18 11:45:34 EDT 2008

Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 13:55 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> I've just submitted a proposal for a new signal-handling API, the ticket is
>> here:
>>
>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2451
>>
>> Deadline: 1 Aug (2 weeks).
>
> I'm happy with it. It's relatively simple now (earlier iterations had
> more states).
>
> The main question is if it's too simple. Can people who know about and
> use signals take a look and see if it covers everything? I'm cc'ing a
> couple more people who know about and use signals.

Thanks for that.  I'm on a train to OSCon right now, so my apologies for
typos or late replies (my net connection is not terribly stable so I
can't see the whole thing.)

Overall I think the goal of being able to add signal handlers without
disturbing what's there is a good one, and being able to add multiple
handlers like that is a good plan too.

I do have a few things I'd like to make sure are addressed, though.
Maybe they are (again, a bit hard to read from my train)...

1) Instead of deprecating the low-level API, I would prefer to have it
still available -- ideally with the new API implemented in terms of it.
  I can see cases where I really want to make the handler be what I say,
not anything else.  For instance, say some library was catching SIGABRT
for its own purposes, but in a certain section of code, I really want
SIGABRT to be handled in a certain way.  Using the old API, I could save
off the old handler, install a new handler that does what I want, and
restore the old one later (assuming I didn't dump core).

This is important because, for many signals, the "normal" way to handle
it might be to do something and then crash.  For instance, if you get
sigabrt, maybe you print out some state, then crash.  So if something
installed a signal handler that crashes, you may be stuck if you don't
want to crash.

It could also be important if you really don't want other signals
handlers doing anything.  Say you've got a library that installs a
handler for SIGINT that flushes out some buffer and prepares things for
the progam to terminate nicely.  But in a certain part of your code, you
don't want to handle SIGINT at all (or you absolutely want it to be
handled only by saying putStrLn "Don't press Ctrl-C now, you dolt!").
Since adding a signal handler could be opaque, this could be quite
difficult.  With the proposed system, you never know if some module has
installed a signal handler, which could be an issue in itself.

2) It would be nice to at least have the option of atomic handlers in
Haskell.  I realize this is not a regression over 6.8.2.  Failing that,
it would be nice to have it documented whether forkIO or forkOS is used.

3) I hope you will not be deprecating System.Posix.Signals.Exts

4) Some signals such as SIGPWR are missing in both 6.8.2 and the new system

Thanks for your work on this.  These are probably not popular cases.  On
the other hand, I have tended to run into limitations in System.Posix in
the past in areas that weren't anticipated to be popular cases ;-)

-- John