Proposal: Extensible exceptions

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri Jul 18 11:05:45 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 09:16:36AM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:

> I'm not entirely happy with this particular sketch of a proposal, but do
> people think that my initial issue is something to be concerned about at
> all?  (I'd be glad to be disproved :-)

It's hard to say if it'll be a problem in practice - we don't have any
experience with writing exception hierarchies.

However, I /think/ that moving from the current proposal to something
like your proposal can be done without breaking any existing code, which
makes me think we should stick with the simpler design for now to get
some experience. It's a big step in the right direction, at least.

Thanks
Ian